View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:24   #30
ownsville
STANDARD

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
1 For This Post
18 Total

I'm not so sure there were any famous historical examples of women lifting men for any reason - but there are a few myths, mostly rising from Indian and Oriental lore. I believe in India it has a particular symbollic significance of a woman's ability/willingness to support her husband.

Or something.

In western culture and history it raises an eyebrow to find examples of women doing stuff that wasn't women's work. In addition much of western history - particularly medieval Europe - came to regard women as almost sacred beings that could not be defiled by such strenuous activity. It would have been considered shameful for a vast stretch of european history. To a certain extent, I think it would still be regarded as such. I still don't feel comfortable admitting that I'm into L&C.

In more modern times everything changed with universal suffrage, the right for women to work, etc etc etc -as there was a dramatic rise and shift in attitude toward women performing mens work. Consequently ideas about gender roles have all but vanished, leading to all kinds of interesting situations. A particular focal point leading to the rise of L&C would be during the enormous fitness scene in the 80's - when characters like Schwarzenegger, Lundgren, Stallone, Rachel McLish, Kiana Tom, Cory Everson...etc etc...became almost household names. This also gave rise to the now massive bodybuilding and figure scenes, which would never have moved out of conventional beauty pageants if the fascination with female physique hadn't taken off.

Suddenly, it was sexy to workout (not for everyone, obviously, but prior to this fitness has never been a way of life, it was always a hobby with no aesthetic). I think this boosted muscle worship, femdom, female combat (wrestling, mixed wrestling) no end. In fact, there are a bunch of films from that era basically made to showcase these stars - particularly Rachel McLish and Cory. For me I think L&C goes hand in hand with these others - its a feat of strength, even if its a relatively easy lift.

It's an odd one alright.
Who Said Thanks:
winniethebeer (May 1st, 2012)