Old January 22nd, 2012, 16:13   #14
phoneman
Administrator

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
3,073 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy View Post
There's nothing illegal about the software itself, because in theory, the software can be used for legal purposes. It's the servers themselves that are problematic. Megaupload was shut down because 98% of their content was copyrighted materials which they directly profited from.

I'm close to the issue, as I'm someone who is directly effected by piracy. A good chunk of my income comes from residuals as well as percentage of DVD/Blu sales. Hollywood has responded to piracy by making less movies, taking less risks, and cutting tons of costs. This has led to me and most of the people I know having significantly less work.

Content isn't free, stealing it hurts people.

My only disagreement with you is that much less than 98% of Megaupload's content was copyrighted materials. A signficant amount was, but not nearly all of it. I have read (in the past two days) that a lot of people (for some odd reason) used Megaupload to transfer large work files and similar completely legal stuff. (I am guessing that Megaupload was free and comparable business oriented sites are not) That material is all gone now that the site is down.

The moral to that story is that if you are using a site for completely legitimate purposes, then do not do it on a server that is not totally clean.