Thread: Please Help
View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2010, 23:52   #6
phoneman
Administrator

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
3,073 Total

Rachel, here is my advice. I have been an attorney for more than 30 years, but I DO NOT specialize in any way in copyright law. I know enough about it to discuss with a minimal level of insight. We know that they violated your copyright, so that is not the issue in any event.

Anyway, they removed your video. That is steps 1 and 2. It is the key.

The real issue is what you do from there. Personally, since they did react and take down the offending clip, I would take a laid back approach with Saradas.

Since you have not yet had any fights with them, maybe you can keep it civil. Believe me, I know that others here want to put them out of business and I concur, but there is no reason for you to make that your battle at this time.

If I were you, I would actually write to them and thank them for so quickly removing the video. I would then say that you would like full access to all parts of their forum, so that you can help them police further violations of your copyright. I would hope that they will cooperate, as a sign of their "good faith"

You could and should ask them to warn the poster that further actions of that type will result in the poster losing privileges in their forum.

Finally, you could slip in something to the effect that from their quick actions, it is obvious that they do not want to damage their relationships with their sponsors. Then wish them luck.

Yes, this is all bull dingy, but it may get you the result that you need with minimal problems.

I know that others will suggest that you immediately notify their sponsors. I understand that approach. I am just concerned that you may get more aggravation than results.

If there is another infringement, then all bets are off and you attack. At that point, we can all suggest steps for a full fledged war involving their sponsors. Right now, you want peace. Hopefully, so do they.

By the way, I am writing this with the full expectation that my comments will be leaked to Saradas, which is fine. There are lots of ways to get their sponsors, but you prefer not to do so at this time.