Go Back   The Lift & Carry Forums > Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Old March 9th, 2020, 21:46   #1
dendrin
Administrator

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
10,904 Total
Default Corona virus

Anyone know anyone who had it? Just wondering.
Old March 14th, 2020, 19:06   #2
Akshayb
VIPOS

0 For This Post
1,376 Total

As in personally- Not yet
Old March 16th, 2020, 21:39   #3
phoneman
Administrator

0 For This Post
3,073 Total

Yes. The father of the former BFF (best friend forever) of our 13 year old granddaughter. (They are still friends, but not best friends).

They live in the northeastern US. I am not sure, but the guy must be in his mid to late 40s. He does have severe diabetes.

He was diagnosed on March 14 2020, so we shall see what happens.
Old March 21st, 2020, 13:52   #4
TheGovernor8430
VIP

1 For This Post
362 Total

One of my best friends is having it. She?s doing a lot better but at first it was rough. She said that it hits really hard at first but then she feels better. Than she?ll wake up the next day and feel first. She constantly has a sore throat with coughing non stop and her fever was 103.9 but luckily she?s doing a lot better. She?s had these symptoms for about a week and I think it?s finally getting out of her system.
Who Said Thanks:
coalguy_143 (March 24th, 2020)
Old March 21st, 2020, 22:31   #5
dendrin
Administrator

1 For This Post
10,904 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGovernor8430 View Post
One of my best friends is having it. She?s doing a lot better but at first it was rough. She said that it hits really hard at first but then she feels better. Than she?ll wake up the next day and feel first. She constantly has a sore throat with coughing non stop and her fever was 103.9 but luckily she?s doing a lot better. She?s had these symptoms for about a week and I think it?s finally getting out of her system.
Good luck to her. What's really strange about this virus is it can barely effect some people, and bring others to critical condition. Much research needs to be done on it.
Who Said Thanks:
TheWolfe (April 2nd, 2020)
Old March 22nd, 2020, 09:56   #6
dp
Administrator
The VIP Gatekeeper

0 For This Post
5,404 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrin View Post
Good luck to her. What's really strange about this virus is it can barely effect some people, and bring others to critical condition. Much research needs to be done on it.
Yeah, there's so much conflicting information and it keeps changing. Where I live, we were first told that only very old and frail people are in danger, and for everyone else it's not much worse than a mild flu. The advice was basically to be careful so that we don't infect high-risk groups. The average age of causalities in my country was 89 (!) until recently. All of a sudden (a few days ago) a bunch of people in the 20-49 age range were sent to the intensive care unit in critical condition. Because of extremely strict privacy protection laws in my country, there is almost no information available about those affected by the virus, but the doctors have told us it appears to be completely random. Many of these people had no known health problems before this happened. According to this recent article, one third of the patients in intensive care is now younger than 50.
Old March 27th, 2020, 02:11   #7
Gypa
STANDARD

2 For This Post
15 Total

In Iceland where I live we have done the most testing per capita and managed to slow the spread so far.

and here some data for you:

https://www.covid.is/data

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...mic_in_Iceland
Who Said Thanks:
winniethebeer (April 1st, 2020), nico1611 (March 28th, 2020)
Old April 1st, 2020, 07:38   #8
winniethebeer
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
8,681 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypa View Post
In Iceland where I live we have done the most testing per capita and managed to slow the spread so far.

and here some data for you:

https://www.covid.is/data

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...mic_in_Iceland

daily updates by country:

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/0...navirus-cases/

new york city:

https://projects.thecity.nyc/2020_03_covid-19-tracker/
Old April 2nd, 2020, 01:26   #9
TheWolfe
VIPOS

1 For This Post
2,745 Total

I'm in the NYC area on Long Island/Suffolk County. I don't know anyone close but I do know of a few cases that are family members of acquaintances. One went from mild symptoms to dead in a few short days, another was hospitalized with pneumonia and released from the hospital with oxygen checks and another was just admitted in Brooklyn. I know of a few more that are a bit more distant.

NYC is worse than the rest of the country because of its geography with islands. It's made up of five boroughs and four of those are on islands. That forces people to use public transit more than they do in other U.S. cities and it gets very, very crowded at rush hour. Add to that Mayor DeBlasio encouraging New Yorkers to continue to ride public transit "without fear" pretty deep into March and that's the main reason NYC is so much worse than everywhere else in the U.S. Even way out here, 50 miles east of the city, there are people who commute to NYC go to work and they brought it home with them. They most likely spread it to their kids who are largely unaffected, then the kids spread it to other kids who spread it to their parents. There's a logic to it if you dig into it that explains why some information seems conflicting on the surface. Other cities have varied reliance on transit and they all have much smaller populations so they're not as likely as NYC is to follow the models established in European cities that have similar density and transit reliance to NYC. LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC.....they're all much more spread out than NYC is.
Who Said Thanks:
zebra (April 2nd, 2020)