Go Back   The Lift & Carry Forums > Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Old January 20th, 2012, 23:55   #1
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
342 Total
Default Megaupload stormed by the FBI

Megaupload is shut down, all of the records are now in the hands of the american government, if you ever downloaded a copyrighted file, YOU'RE SCREWED!

VERY IMPORTANT!

Last edited by Snowstormbanana; January 21st, 2012 at 02:34.
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:21   #2
phoneman
Administrator

0 For This Post
3,073 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzese View Post
Megaupload is shut down, all of the records are now in the hands of the american government, if you ever downloaded a copyrighted file, YOU'RE SCREWED!

VERY IMPORTANT! PROTECT YOURSELF!

Yes, Megaupload has been busted, people arrested, etc.

If someone had uploaded a copyrighted file, how could they protect themselves now? Just wondering what you mean.
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:34   #3
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

1 For This Post
342 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
Yes, Megaupload has been busted, people arrested, etc.

If someone had uploaded a copyrighted file, how could they protect themselves now? Just wondering what you mean.
Well, you probably know about this SOPA/PIPA thing, the thing that started Piracy was actually C-NET, for those who don't know C-NET is a 'search-thingy' hosted by i think CBS, it's also used by microsoft etc etc, from C-NET you could and can still download bitorrent, azerus, kazaa, utorrent, and you used to (not sure if you still can) be able to download directly from their site, without having to leave it COPYRIGHTED music/movies/tv-series! They even had reviews showing you how it was done! Microsoft and a lot of other huge companies invested in thepiratesbay and bitorrent! They encouraged people to download pirate-copied files for over a decade and now they're using it against YOU!

But i don't see these multi-millionaires behind bars, are they above the law because they're so wealthy?

I don't really know what can be done to protect yourself, but starting a law-suit against these companies could be a start, people has to get the word out.

There's not really much to do to protect yourself per say, i don't know why i put that there, i'll edit it out, the point is. While singlemoms and students get imprisoned and sued for a ridicoulus amount of money, the real criminals walk free, what a corrupt world we live in..
Who Said Thanks:
allffcradles (January 25th, 2012)
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:23   #4
phoneman
Administrator

0 For This Post
3,073 Total

The guys from Megaupload were busted for numerous criminal acts, including money laundering and racketeering.

I have not seen the specific charges, and guess that it is possible all of the charges ultimately come from the copyright issues.

It is actually hard to defend massive copyright infringement. On this board we try to be vigilant about not allowing lenghty clips to be loaded that are currently for sale or are made by active producers who might sell them.

What I mean by lengthy is that one minute out of ten minute clip might be OK, but not the entire clip.

Oh, yes, I know all about SOPA/PIPA, which have died, for the moment at least.
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:45   #5
filmguy
STANDARD

0 For This Post
57 Total

They are not going after individuals who have uploaded, they're going after the owners for profiting off of piracy.
Old January 21st, 2012, 13:15   #6
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
342 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy View Post
They are not going after individuals who have uploaded, they're going after the owners for profiting off of piracy.
Yeah, you might wanna think so, but i don't think it's quite that simple.

First of all, i think it's totally ridicoulus that because megaupload had one or two servers hosted in the US means they can extradite them to the US, put them in an american court, blabla..

If they're going after the owners that profited off of piracy, oh what's this you can download right from cnet? http://download.cnet.com/windows/p2p...ntBody;sideBar

Oh no? Utorrent, bittorrent, vuze?? Now the big companies that uses CNET, are all against piracy, but then why have they let you download filesharing softward right off of there website for over a decade? If they're going after the people that made money off of piracy, i don't see why they go free?

Easy to download filesharing software..

CBS interactive does not encourage or condone the illegal duplication or distribution of illegal content

Wow, yea it's easy to say that CBS, but then why the heck is it still available through CNET!!

I'm sure you've heard of this story about the student in the UK, who didn't even upload or download any copyright infringed files, he simply just linked to a site with copyrighted material, which isn't even illegal in the UK!! He's getting extradited to USA, to be imprisoned! He just linked to copyright material, CNET have had "tutorials" of how to download copyrighted music and they let you download freaking utorrent and bittorrent right from their site, they're not getting imprisoned, are they? Noo.. But they've done it for over 10 years, the UK student just linked to a site with copyright infringed material!
Old January 21st, 2012, 13:46   #7
Leobor
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
1,676 Total

Old January 21st, 2012, 13:48   #8
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
342 Total

Now.. What was the point of that post?
Old January 21st, 2012, 14:02   #9
FinQ
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
1,216 Total
Default Who needs to be worried?

It sounds to me like this would affect people who have uploaded/downloaded movies and/or songs through megaupload (MU).

It occurs to me that this forum:
a) Doesn't post links to entire films to be downloaded through MU
b) Posts clips from small independent film companies making l&c stuff (not exactly the people who are bringing about these lawsuits - Universal/Pixar etc.)
c) Doesn't have anything to do with mp3s

Therefore, was this just here for information for users who may also use MU to download additional (non-forum related) content?

I can't really see that anyone here who has downloaded the occasional clip through MU which was posted here needs to be overly concerned.

Thoughts?

Fin
Old January 21st, 2012, 14:12   #10
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

1 For This Post
342 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinQ View Post
It sounds to me like this would affect people who have uploaded/downloaded movies and/or songs through megaupload (MU).

It occurs to me that this forum:
a) Doesn't post links to entire films to be downloaded through MU
b) Posts clips from small independent film companies making l&c stuff (not exactly the people who are bringing about these lawsuits - Universal/Pixar etc.)
c) Doesn't have anything to do with mp3s

Therefore, was this just here for information for users who may also use MU to download additional (non-forum related) content?

I can't really see that anyone here who has downloaded the occasional clip through MU which was posted here needs to be overly concerned.

Thoughts?

Fin
Well i didn't mean clips regarding L&C, i meant in general, most people on the internet who once or twice downloaded something that has a copyright on it most likely did it from one of these sites like, Megaupload, rapidshare, speedyshare? etc, and most people did on some occasion download for example a copyrighted song or a movie.

If you just downloaded stuff that was uploaded on here, you don't have to worry, this thread is mostly to warn people, we need to fight back!
Who Said Thanks:
allffcradles (January 25th, 2012)