Old January 21st, 2012, 17:56   #11
lcand223
VIP

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
532 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzese View Post
Well i didn't mean clips regarding L&C, i meant in general, most people on the internet who once or twice downloaded something that has a copyright on it most likely did it from one of these sites like, Megaupload, rapidshare, speedyshare? etc, and most people did on some occasion download for example a copyrighted song or a movie.
I've downloaded loads of copyrighted files, and I've done it so many times I can't even remember, haha. Pitty they closed down Megavideo because I used it a lot, particularly to watch movies online, but I don't live in the US and I doubt very much the FBI will come after any of us.

Quote:
If you just downloaded stuff that was uploaded on here, you don't have to worry, this thread is mostly to warn people, we need to fight back!
As for SOPA/PIPA, it's not gonna pass. Unlike the NDAA, which was about 100x worse and practically makes the US a dictatorship, in case of SOPA there is money on the other side and quite a lot of it. Obama has received more campaign funds (aka legal bribes) from internet companies as google, ect. than from hollywood and record companies, so he's flipped sides and we've seen some heavy lobbying make many prominent Republicans flip on this as well and Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul all denounced SOPA in the most recent South Carolina debate. There's too much money in the internet, which makes a powerful force in a system that is controlled 100% by what big money says, so I wouldn't worry that much about SOPA if I were you.
Old January 21st, 2012, 18:53   #12
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
342 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcand223 View Post
I've downloaded loads of copyrighted files, and I've done it so many times I can't even remember, haha. Pitty they closed down Megavideo because I used it a lot, particularly to watch movies online, but I don't live in the US and I doubt very much the FBI will come after any of us.

As for SOPA/PIPA, it's not gonna pass. Unlike the NDAA, which was about 100x worse and practically makes the US a dictatorship, in case of SOPA there is money on the other side and quite a lot of it. Obama has received more campaign funds (aka legal bribes) from internet companies as google, ect. than from hollywood and record companies, so he's flipped sides and we've seen some heavy lobbying make many prominent Republicans flip on this as well and Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul all denounced SOPA in the most recent South Carolina debate. There's too much money in the internet, which makes a powerful force in a system that is controlled 100% by what big money says, so I wouldn't worry that much about SOPA if I were you.
No,no.. SOPA, i don't worry about.

I don't think i ever used megaupload to download any copyrighted files, and yes i doub't they'll be coming after literally 25% of the internet for using megaupload, but when the US extradites a UK student for just linking to copyrighted material to lock him up in a nice and comfy cell it makes me wanna throw up, that's something which isn't illegal in the UK! Meanwhile all these rich investers and owners of CNET who let you download utorrent, bittorrent and all these other filesharing software from their own website, they go free!

This UK student made a couple of thousand dollars for what he did, The owners of CNET have made hundreds of millions of dollars during this decade while they showed you how to download copyright infringed material, from the comfort of their own website.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:36   #13
filmguy
STANDARD

0 For This Post
57 Total

There's nothing illegal about the software itself, because in theory, the software can be used for legal purposes. It's the servers themselves that are problematic. Megaupload was shut down because 98% of their content was copyrighted materials which they directly profited from.

I'm close to the issue, as I'm someone who is directly effected by piracy. A good chunk of my income comes from residuals as well as percentage of DVD/Blu sales. Hollywood has responded to piracy by making less movies, taking less risks, and cutting tons of costs. This has led to me and most of the people I know having significantly less work.

Content isn't free, stealing it hurts people.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 16:13   #14
phoneman
Administrator

0 For This Post
3,073 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy View Post
There's nothing illegal about the software itself, because in theory, the software can be used for legal purposes. It's the servers themselves that are problematic. Megaupload was shut down because 98% of their content was copyrighted materials which they directly profited from.

I'm close to the issue, as I'm someone who is directly effected by piracy. A good chunk of my income comes from residuals as well as percentage of DVD/Blu sales. Hollywood has responded to piracy by making less movies, taking less risks, and cutting tons of costs. This has led to me and most of the people I know having significantly less work.

Content isn't free, stealing it hurts people.

My only disagreement with you is that much less than 98% of Megaupload's content was copyrighted materials. A signficant amount was, but not nearly all of it. I have read (in the past two days) that a lot of people (for some odd reason) used Megaupload to transfer large work files and similar completely legal stuff. (I am guessing that Megaupload was free and comparable business oriented sites are not) That material is all gone now that the site is down.

The moral to that story is that if you are using a site for completely legitimate purposes, then do not do it on a server that is not totally clean.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 16:41   #15
esprit111
STANDARD

0 For This Post
16 Total

In today's 'Times' newspaper (UK) there is a very good article on this subject.
Apparently Rapidshare and a few others could be next.

Also, the guy running Megaupload says he plans to carry on from another country.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 17:33   #16
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
342 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by esprit111 View Post
In today's 'Times' newspaper (UK) there is a very good article on this subject.
Apparently Rapidshare and a few others could be next.

Also, the guy running Megaupload says he plans to carry on from another country.
Yeah, there's a big chance rapidshare could be taken down next along other of these sites, i hope they stay the hell away from mediafire though ;D!

Here's a good video to watch

Old January 23rd, 2012, 21:15   #17
geniuslb
STANDARD

2 For This Post
1,420 Total

Who Said Thanks:
allffcradles (January 25th, 2012), Snowstormbanana (January 23rd, 2012)
Old January 23rd, 2012, 22:30   #18
Snowstormbanana
VIP Honored

1 For This Post
342 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuslb View Post
Hahaha, nice one!

Here's a video explaining what SOPA/PIPA/ACTA really is for

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-One-Copyright
Who Said Thanks:
geniuslb (January 24th, 2012)
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:52   #19
allffcradles
VIPOS

0 For This Post
1,154 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzese View Post

But i don't see these multi-millionaires behind bars, are they above the law because they're so wealthy?

I don't really know what can be done to protect yourself, but starting a law-suit against these companies could be a start, people has to get the word out.

There's not really much to do to protect yourself per say, i don't know why i put that there, i'll edit it out, the point is. While singlemoms and students get imprisoned and sued for a ridicoulus amount of money, the real criminals walk free, what a corrupt world we live in..
Typical of these pathetic governments we live in, punish the ones who can't defend themselves and let the big guys (banks, corporations, dictators) get away with things, at least for a time... They automatically charge people ?100 for not being up to date with submitting tax returns each year but what are they doing to the megarich who aren't paying millions for their taxes? Nothing of course!

$150000 per copyright infringement?! So that's the US gov's way of trying to recover the stupid amount of money they borrow and squander on daft ventures like the 'War on terror'

Anyhow the demise of Megaupload is a mood killer, I came here to satisfy my fetish, back to that!
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:54   #20
allffcradles
VIPOS

0 For This Post
1,154 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuslb View Post
genius! {^()^}