Go Back   The Lift & Carry Forums > Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Old February 25th, 2013, 14:28   #1
TheWolfe
VIPOS

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
2,743 Total
Angry Imagebam Android problem

Does anyone else on here access Imagebam on an Android mobile device?

Lately the banner ads on Imagebam have - without me clicking on them - hijacked my browser to adtracker.king.com which opens my phone's app for the Google Play Store, attempting to get me to buy a game. Clicking the back button repeats the cycle a couple of times before the hijacks stop and I'm finally able to view the pic. I understand Imagebam is a free service that depends on ads but this is a new and hostile tactic for this site that makes me question what else they may be doing to us, such as installing malware in our systems without our knowledge.

Just thought I'd pass this info along.
Old March 5th, 2013, 18:14   #2
nautilus
The king
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
1,278 Total

I am having trouble viewing pics posted in imagebam even on my firefox browser. 1 out of 20 images open.

Is there any trick I am missing?

I can view all the pics posted on imgbox, like the recent ones posted by wm.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:29   #3
phoneman
Administrator

0 For This Post
3,073 Total

I had problems with IE 8
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:41   #4
TheWolfe
VIPOS

0 For This Post
2,743 Total

These days I do all of my online L&C stuff on my phone. I wound up reporting them to Google for violation of Google Play TOS by using an aggressive browser hijacker to artificially inflate hits, making the game they're selling appear more popular than it actually is. I was pleasantly surprised a couple of days later when the hijacking stopped! Maybe it was just a coincidence. Now Imagebam is just slow and I get a lot of failed downloads on pics I try to save.

Imagebox has a different quirk. When I click to view a pic, it's on my screen for maybe two or three seconds before another pic in the set starts loading as if I'm watching a slide show. This will continue if I let it until it runs out of photos. At least it's easy enough to click the back button and save the pics, which never fail to save.

All of these problems are relatively recent developments that indicate to me that those sites are adding more scripts to their pages to harvest more information from our browsers. Selling that info covers their expenses while we use their sites for free.
Old March 6th, 2013, 22:37   #5
dendrin
Administrator

0 For This Post
10,897 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfe View Post
These days I do all of my online L&C stuff on my phone. I wound up reporting them to Google for violation of Google Play TOS by using an aggressive browser hijacker to artificially inflate hits, making the game they're selling appear more popular than it actually is. I was pleasantly surprised a couple of days later when the hijacking stopped! Maybe it was just a coincidence. Now Imagebam is just slow and I get a lot of failed downloads on pics I try to save.

Imagebox has a different quirk. When I click to view a pic, it's on my screen for maybe two or three seconds before another pic in the set starts loading as if I'm watching a slide show. This will continue if I let it until it runs out of photos. At least it's easy enough to click the back button and save the pics, which never fail to save.

All of these problems are relatively recent developments that indicate to me that those sites are adding more scripts to their pages to harvest more information from our browsers. Selling that info covers their expenses while we use their sites for free.
That and more shady developers are making malware for phone operating systems nowadays with so many users. I suspect Android will continue to be the most at risk and easiest to hack since its open source.
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:35   #6
Chaza
VIP Honored

1 For This Post
614 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrin View Post
That and more shady developers are making malware for phone operating systems nowadays with so many users. I suspect Android will continue to be the most at risk and easiest to hack since its open source.
Sadly I can confirm this. I am studying ethical hacking at university and the amount of android exploits developed are unreal.

However Google aren't slouches at patching these though so reporting is your friend!

In terms of apps, Google use an automated checking facility which i believe scans through an app submitted to the play store. However the apps DO NOT go through a manual checking phase (as implemented by apple).

But hey the pros and cons of being open source XD.

The ironic thing is "non smart phones" are run on a much more closed off platform
Who Said Thanks:
dendrin (March 8th, 2013)