Go Back   The Lift & Carry Forums > Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:52   #1
winniethebeer
VIP Honored

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
8,679 Total
Default Summer movies

Anyone excited about any upcoming movie?

I want to see "Up". First movie ill see in 3d. Since its from Pixar Im sure it will be excellent. Maybe the new Terminator but thats a big maybe.

Havent see Star Trek yet. Heard good things.
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:56   #2
agentdowell
STANDARD

0 For This Post
5 Total

Why a big maybe on Terminator? If it's the reason I'm thinking, you're not going to enjoy Star Trek.

Transformers 2.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:38   #3
winniethebeer
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
8,679 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdowell View Post
Why a big maybe on Terminator? If it's the reason I'm thinking, you're not going to enjoy Star Trek.

Transformers 2.
Because it might be very different from the first two. Sort of like the later Batman movies (not counting the Chrstian Bale ones) were different than the first ones (the Michael Keaton ones).
Old May 23rd, 2009, 00:44   #4
agentdowell
STANDARD

0 For This Post
5 Total

You mean the first three. Like I thought, if you're worried about the movie being different from the previous installments, don't go see Star Trek.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:05   #5
winniethebeer
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
8,679 Total

Quote:
You mean the first three. Like I thought, if you're worried about the movie being different from the previous installments, don't go see Star Trek.
No i meant the first two (only counting the good ones). I might go see Star Trek. Im not a Trekkie so i dont care if its not according to canon. As long as there are some awesome starship battles im happy.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:10   #6
agentdowell
STANDARD

0 For This Post
5 Total

Lol, how's that for irony?
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:03   #7
winniethebeer
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
8,679 Total

Quote:
Lol, how's that for irony?
I read the reviews and T4 was ripped apart but Star Trek got good reviews.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:07   #8
filmguy
STANDARD

0 For This Post
57 Total

Star Trek's really good if you're NOT a fanboy. I happen to love Star Trek, so some of it was hard for me to swallow. I didn't mind that they changed Canon, as they actually explained that they did change, but it sort of "mainstreamed" Star Trek and turned it more into a franchise about starship battles, which are fine but it's not what Trek was always about. Overall though, I enjoyed it as a summer popcorn flick, even if it felt a little watered down from other ST movies like Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country. I do think it'll end up being the best movie of the summer, so I'd recommend it over anything else.

Terminator was alright. Really, it did what it was supposed to do, which was pull off an exciting action movie. The action scenes are fun, the story is passable. The problem is, if you follow the Terminator series, you know what the big moments are in the future war. This being the first movie of a new trilogy, there's none of those moments, as they're being saved for later, so ultimately it felt like a semi-unimportant day in the life of Connor. We see how he gets his scars, in case you were really interested in that, but there's no time displacement field, Reese is just a kid and Connor isn't Connor yet. There're a few fun throwbacks to the first two movies, one sort of surprise semi-appearance. I could deal with it leading into other things down the road, but my biggest problem with it was the score, as Danny Elfman decided discard all of the previous movies music cues and bring in a really generic score. That actually seemed to make it seem like less of a Terminator flick and more of just some genetic sci-fi movie. We don't even get Fiedel's classic theme at the end. It could be worse, though, the original ending had Connor dying and having his skin put on a Terminator body to keep the illusion of him alive. Thankfully they changed it due to near riots at test screenings.

As far as the rest of the summer, I'm looking forward to UP and Public Enemies (The Johnny Depp-Christian Bale-Michael Mann Dillinger movie). Transformers 2 I'll probably pass on, as I hated the first one. I'll probably see GI Joe based purely on morbid curiosity, but I know that's gonna suck. I'm also curious about The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 as I love the original with Walter Matheau and Robert Shaw, but that most likely will be a $2 matinee down the line and not one I rush out to see.

Last edited by filmguy; May 26th, 2009 at 07:12.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:48   #9
winniethebeer
VIP Honored

0 For This Post
8,679 Total

Good reviews. Did you read about the new Tarantino film? Takes place in World War 2 and is being hyped as being "as good as Pulp Fiction".
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:19   #10
agentdowell
STANDARD

0 For This Post
5 Total

Nice write up :tup:

I thoroughly enjoyed Terminator. Being an avid motorcyclist, I really want one of those bikes. Star Trek was good but my biggest problem was the predictability of the script and the fact that what made Trek great was lost and replaced with a few pages from George Lucas' book. It felt more like watching Star Wars.