Go Back   The Lift & Carry Forums > Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Old August 1st, 2009, 15:03   #1
ericfabre
VIPOS

Total 'Thanks' Received by This User :
0 For This Post
19,172 Total
Default How to convert analog video to digital

Hey, guys. Anyone of you knows of a program, software or hardware that i could use to convert analog videos to digital? I am planning to make my own L&C videos. Unfortunately my video camera is analog.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks a lot.
Old August 1st, 2009, 17:22   #2
dendrin
Administrator

0 For This Post
10,897 Total

If its analogue you will have to buy a video capture card. Most TV cards have this ability and come with the software to do it. Although VirtualDub is a free third party program to use preferred by most.

Here is a popular PC TV card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815293006

The main problem with analogue is the conversion time, it has a moderate learning curve to do good conversions, and takes hours to encode video even on fast computers. If you plan on shooting alot of video its a worthwhile investment to get a digital camcorder, which can output the video directly to a digital format.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:55   #3
ericfabre
VIPOS

0 For This Post
19,172 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrin View Post
If its analogue you will have to buy a video capture card. Most TV cards have this ability and come with the software to do it. Although VirtualDub is a free third party program to use preferred by most.

Here is a popular PC TV card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815293006

The main problem with analogue is the conversion time, it has a moderate learning curve to do good conversions, and takes hours to encode video even on fast computers. If you plan on shooting alot of video its a worthwhile investment to get a digital camcorder, which can output the video directly to a digital format.
Thanks a lot Dendrin. I know now why photo encoders charge me so much just to convert a short analog video to digital. I thought I'd do it myself. Maybe I should buy another video camera, a digital one.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:22   #4
filmguy
STANDARD

0 For This Post
57 Total

Just a heads up before you buy a new camera. While you can get a digital camcorder for a few hundred dollars at your local best buy, you need to do some research abut what kind of video quality you want.

You're going to shoot L&C videos? If you want it to be professional quality, you're going to have to spend a lot more for a camera, as a little consumer cam ("one chip") is great for home videos, but not so great for making videos you intend to sell. Nothing irritates me more than paying for a clips4sale clip only to realize it's basically shot on a cellphone. A good professional camera (Cannon XL) will run at least 6 grand for HD, and around 3 grand for SD (Cannon GL2). In comparison, an HD consumer camera will be around a grand, but the difference is noticeable.

The most important thing you need to know, regardless of camera, is that video takes a TON of space. You WILL need to buy at least a 500gig external harddrive to store the footage you digitized. That'll allow you to edit it (if you have the software for that), make clips, etc.

Stuff like this takes a LOT of capital to start off. I think a reason so many of these companies fail is because they fail to comprehend how much work and money goes in to shooting, digitizing and editing decent quality video.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 16:05   #5
phoneman
Administrator

0 For This Post
3,073 Total

Filmguy, thanks for the informative and insightful comment.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 23:54   #6
filmguy
STANDARD

0 For This Post
57 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
Filmguy, thanks for the informative and insightful comment.
You're welcome. Hopefully I didn't discourage the OP from starting his l&c production company, if that's what he really wants to do.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:19   #7
ericfabre
VIPOS

0 For This Post
19,172 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy View Post
You're welcome. Hopefully I didn't discourage the OP from starting his l&c production company, if that's what he really wants to do.
Actually, the videos that I am planning to make are for my own personal collection, and maybe share some of it in this forum. Thanks anyway for that invaluable information.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:44   #8
goneju

0 For This Post
0 Total

Its so nice to hear from u that u are planning to make ur own lift and carry clips. Wish u all the best for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfabre View Post
Actually, the videos that I am planning to make are for my own personal collection, and maybe share some of it in this forum. Thanks anyway for that invaluable information.