PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload stormed by the FBI

Snowstormbanana
January 20th, 2012, 23:55
Megaupload is shut down, all of the records are now in the hands of the american government, if you ever downloaded a copyrighted file, YOU'RE SCREWED!

VERY IMPORTANT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ&context=C357972cADOEgsToPDskIW5T4mzW_miXiaoyO8m3fx

phoneman
January 21st, 2012, 01:21
Megaupload is shut down, all of the records are now in the hands of the american government, if you ever downloaded a copyrighted file, YOU'RE SCREWED!

VERY IMPORTANT! PROTECT YOURSELF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ&context=C357972cADOEgsToPDskIW5T4mzW_miXiaoyO8m3fx

Yes, Megaupload has been busted, people arrested, etc.

If someone had uploaded a copyrighted file, how could they protect themselves now? Just wondering what you mean.

Snowstormbanana
January 21st, 2012, 02:34
Yes, Megaupload has been busted, people arrested, etc.

If someone had uploaded a copyrighted file, how could they protect themselves now? Just wondering what you mean.

Well, you probably know about this SOPA/PIPA thing, the thing that started Piracy was actually C-NET, for those who don't know C-NET is a 'search-thingy' hosted by i think CBS, it's also used by microsoft etc etc, from C-NET you could and can still download bitorrent, azerus, kazaa, utorrent, and you used to (not sure if you still can) be able to download directly from their site, without having to leave it COPYRIGHTED music/movies/tv-series! They even had reviews showing you how it was done! Microsoft and a lot of other huge companies invested in thepiratesbay and bitorrent! They encouraged people to download pirate-copied files for over a decade and now they're using it against YOU!

But i don't see these multi-millionaires behind bars, are they above the law because they're so wealthy?

I don't really know what can be done to protect yourself, but starting a law-suit against these companies could be a start, people has to get the word out.

There's not really much to do to protect yourself per say, i don't know why i put that there, i'll edit it out, the point is. While singlemoms and students get imprisoned and sued for a ridicoulus amount of money, the real criminals walk free, what a corrupt world we live in..

phoneman
January 21st, 2012, 03:23
The guys from Megaupload were busted for numerous criminal acts, including money laundering and racketeering.

I have not seen the specific charges, and guess that it is possible all of the charges ultimately come from the copyright issues.

It is actually hard to defend massive copyright infringement. On this board we try to be vigilant about not allowing lenghty clips to be loaded that are currently for sale or are made by active producers who might sell them.

What I mean by lengthy is that one minute out of ten minute clip might be OK, but not the entire clip.

Oh, yes, I know all about SOPA/PIPA, which have died, for the moment at least.

filmguy
January 21st, 2012, 06:45
They are not going after individuals who have uploaded, they're going after the owners for profiting off of piracy.

Snowstormbanana
January 21st, 2012, 13:15
They are not going after individuals who have uploaded, they're going after the owners for profiting off of piracy.

Yeah, you might wanna think so, but i don't think it's quite that simple.

First of all, i think it's totally ridicoulus that because megaupload had one or two servers hosted in the US means they can extradite them to the US, put them in an american court, blabla..

If they're going after the owners that profited off of piracy, oh what's this you can download right from cnet? http://download.cnet.com/windows/p2p-file-sharing-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar

Oh no? Utorrent, bittorrent, vuze?? Now the big companies that uses CNET, are all against piracy, but then why have they let you download filesharing softward right off of there website for over a decade? If they're going after the people that made money off of piracy, i don't see why they go free?

Easy to download filesharing software..

CBS interactive does not encourage or condone the illegal duplication or distribution of illegal content

Wow, yea it's easy to say that CBS, but then why the heck is it still available through CNET!!

I'm sure you've heard of this story about the student in the UK, who didn't even upload or download any copyright infringed files, he simply just linked to a site with copyrighted material, which isn't even illegal in the UK!! He's getting extradited to USA, to be imprisoned! He just linked to copyright material, CNET have had "tutorials" of how to download copyrighted music and they let you download freaking utorrent and bittorrent right from their site, they're not getting imprisoned, are they? Noo.. But they've done it for over 10 years, the UK student just linked to a site with copyright infringed material!

Leobor
January 21st, 2012, 13:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnqg9HK9RhQ :thumbdown:

Snowstormbanana
January 21st, 2012, 13:48
Now.. What was the point of that post?

FinQ
January 21st, 2012, 14:02
It sounds to me like this would affect people who have uploaded/downloaded movies and/or songs through megaupload (MU).

It occurs to me that this forum:
a) Doesn't post links to entire films to be downloaded through MU
b) Posts clips from small independent film companies making l&c stuff (not exactly the people who are bringing about these lawsuits - Universal/Pixar etc.)
c) Doesn't have anything to do with mp3s

Therefore, was this just here for information for users who may also use MU to download additional (non-forum related) content?

I can't really see that anyone here who has downloaded the occasional clip through MU which was posted here needs to be overly concerned.

Thoughts?

Fin

Snowstormbanana
January 21st, 2012, 14:12
It sounds to me like this would affect people who have uploaded/downloaded movies and/or songs through megaupload (MU).

It occurs to me that this forum:
a) Doesn't post links to entire films to be downloaded through MU
b) Posts clips from small independent film companies making l&c stuff (not exactly the people who are bringing about these lawsuits - Universal/Pixar etc.)
c) Doesn't have anything to do with mp3s

Therefore, was this just here for information for users who may also use MU to download additional (non-forum related) content?

I can't really see that anyone here who has downloaded the occasional clip through MU which was posted here needs to be overly concerned.

Thoughts?

Fin

Well i didn't mean clips regarding L&C, i meant in general, most people on the internet who once or twice downloaded something that has a copyright on it most likely did it from one of these sites like, Megaupload, rapidshare, speedyshare? etc, and most people did on some occasion download for example a copyrighted song or a movie.

If you just downloaded stuff that was uploaded on here, you don't have to worry, this thread is mostly to warn people, we need to fight back!

lcand223
January 21st, 2012, 17:56
Well i didn't mean clips regarding L&C, i meant in general, most people on the internet who once or twice downloaded something that has a copyright on it most likely did it from one of these sites like, Megaupload, rapidshare, speedyshare? etc, and most people did on some occasion download for example a copyrighted song or a movie.

I've downloaded loads of copyrighted files, and I've done it so many times I can't even remember, haha. Pitty they closed down Megavideo because I used it a lot, particularly to watch movies online, but I don't live in the US and I doubt very much the FBI will come after any of us.

If you just downloaded stuff that was uploaded on here, you don't have to worry, this thread is mostly to warn people, we need to fight back!

As for SOPA/PIPA, it's not gonna pass. Unlike the NDAA, which was about 100x worse and practically makes the US a dictatorship, in case of SOPA there is money on the other side and quite a lot of it. Obama has received more campaign funds (aka legal bribes) from internet companies as google, ect. than from hollywood and record companies, so he's flipped sides and we've seen some heavy lobbying make many prominent Republicans flip on this as well and Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul all denounced SOPA in the most recent South Carolina debate. There's too much money in the internet, which makes a powerful force in a system that is controlled 100% by what big money says, so I wouldn't worry that much about SOPA if I were you.

Snowstormbanana
January 21st, 2012, 18:53
I've downloaded loads of copyrighted files, and I've done it so many times I can't even remember, haha. Pitty they closed down Megavideo because I used it a lot, particularly to watch movies online, but I don't live in the US and I doubt very much the FBI will come after any of us.

As for SOPA/PIPA, it's not gonna pass. Unlike the NDAA, which was about 100x worse and practically makes the US a dictatorship, in case of SOPA there is money on the other side and quite a lot of it. Obama has received more campaign funds (aka legal bribes) from internet companies as google, ect. than from hollywood and record companies, so he's flipped sides and we've seen some heavy lobbying make many prominent Republicans flip on this as well and Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul all denounced SOPA in the most recent South Carolina debate. There's too much money in the internet, which makes a powerful force in a system that is controlled 100% by what big money says, so I wouldn't worry that much about SOPA if I were you.

No,no.. SOPA, i don't worry about.

I don't think i ever used megaupload to download any copyrighted files, and yes i doub't they'll be coming after literally 25% of the internet for using megaupload, but when the US extradites a UK student for just linking to copyrighted material to lock him up in a nice and comfy cell it makes me wanna throw up, that's something which isn't illegal in the UK! Meanwhile all these rich investers and owners of CNET who let you download utorrent, bittorrent and all these other filesharing software from their own website, they go free!

This UK student made a couple of thousand dollars for what he did, The owners of CNET have made hundreds of millions of dollars during this decade while they showed you how to download copyright infringed material, from the comfort of their own website.

filmguy
January 22nd, 2012, 07:36
There's nothing illegal about the software itself, because in theory, the software can be used for legal purposes. It's the servers themselves that are problematic. Megaupload was shut down because 98% of their content was copyrighted materials which they directly profited from.

I'm close to the issue, as I'm someone who is directly effected by piracy. A good chunk of my income comes from residuals as well as percentage of DVD/Blu sales. Hollywood has responded to piracy by making less movies, taking less risks, and cutting tons of costs. This has led to me and most of the people I know having significantly less work.

Content isn't free, stealing it hurts people.

phoneman
January 22nd, 2012, 16:13
There's nothing illegal about the software itself, because in theory, the software can be used for legal purposes. It's the servers themselves that are problematic. Megaupload was shut down because 98% of their content was copyrighted materials which they directly profited from.

I'm close to the issue, as I'm someone who is directly effected by piracy. A good chunk of my income comes from residuals as well as percentage of DVD/Blu sales. Hollywood has responded to piracy by making less movies, taking less risks, and cutting tons of costs. This has led to me and most of the people I know having significantly less work.

Content isn't free, stealing it hurts people.

My only disagreement with you is that much less than 98% of Megaupload's content was copyrighted materials. A signficant amount was, but not nearly all of it. I have read (in the past two days) that a lot of people (for some odd reason) used Megaupload to transfer large work files and similar completely legal stuff. (I am guessing that Megaupload was free and comparable business oriented sites are not) That material is all gone now that the site is down.

The moral to that story is that if you are using a site for completely legitimate purposes, then do not do it on a server that is not totally clean.

esprit111
January 23rd, 2012, 16:41
In today's 'Times' newspaper (UK) there is a very good article on this subject.
Apparently Rapidshare and a few others could be next.

Also, the guy running Megaupload says he plans to carry on from another country.

Snowstormbanana
January 23rd, 2012, 17:33
In today's 'Times' newspaper (UK) there is a very good article on this subject.
Apparently Rapidshare and a few others could be next.

Also, the guy running Megaupload says he plans to carry on from another country.

Yeah, there's a big chance rapidshare could be taken down next along other of these sites, i hope they stay the hell away from mediafire though ;D!

Here's a good video to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2ra0HwSbQ

geniuslb
January 23rd, 2012, 21:15
http://thumbnails56.imagebam.com/17133/d39865171326753.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/d39865171326753)

Snowstormbanana
January 23rd, 2012, 22:30
http://thumbnails56.imagebam.com/17133/d39865171326753.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/d39865171326753)

Hahaha, nice one!

Here's a video explaining what SOPA/PIPA/ACTA really is for :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5268-Piracy-Episode-One-Copyright

allffcradles
January 25th, 2012, 07:52
But i don't see these multi-millionaires behind bars, are they above the law because they're so wealthy?

I don't really know what can be done to protect yourself, but starting a law-suit against these companies could be a start, people has to get the word out.

There's not really much to do to protect yourself per say, i don't know why i put that there, i'll edit it out, the point is. While singlemoms and students get imprisoned and sued for a ridicoulus amount of money, the real criminals walk free, what a corrupt world we live in..

Typical of these pathetic governments we live in, punish the ones who can't defend themselves and let the big guys (banks, corporations, dictators) get away with things, at least for a time... They automatically charge people ?100 for not being up to date with submitting tax returns each year but what are they doing to the megarich who aren't paying millions for their taxes? Nothing of course!

$150000 per copyright infringement?! So that's the US gov's way of trying to recover the stupid amount of money they borrow and squander on daft ventures like the 'War on terror'

Anyhow the demise of Megaupload is a mood killer, I came here to satisfy my fetish, back to that!

allffcradles
January 25th, 2012, 07:54

genius! {^()^}

Leobor
January 25th, 2012, 08:50
Now.. What was the point of that post?

The point is that no one can acuse you on anything for a tone of reasons.

First - how could someone know did the "downloader" really knew what was downloaded in that moment?

Second - I am pretty sure that all the courts and DAs of this world couldnt process all the cases.

Third - if someone only tries something like that it will make huge problems, as I am pretty sure that most of FBI agents which worked on the case actually used some of those material for themselves etc...

Conclussion is - dont make panic without a cause.

Snowstormbanana
January 25th, 2012, 18:08
The point is that no one can acuse you on anything for a tone of reasons.

First - how could someone know did the "downloader" really knew what was downloaded in that moment?

Second - I am pretty sure that all the courts and DAs of this world couldnt process all the cases.

Third - if someone only tries something like that it will make huge problems, as I am pretty sure that most of FBI agents which worked on the case actually used some of those material for themselves etc...

Conclussion is - dont make panic without a cause.

I don't see why i would have any reason to panic considering i never downloaded anything from megaupload except for a couple of photos my friend sent me, of course the courts won't be able to process all of this, but it's not really up to them is it?

I don't really have time to write 50 pages of text right now...

Anyways, here's something that made me freaking disgusted...

At 9:30am EST federal agents raided a home in Malvern, PA. The suspect is accused of making Mickey Mouse (TM) shaped pancakes for his children. If convicted he faces 10 years in prison and up to $150,000 for each pancake consumed. Pancake mix provider Bisquick has made no statement at this time, but may be liable for damages in excess of $5 million dollars.

Leobor
January 25th, 2012, 19:27
At 9:30am EST federal agents raided a home in Malvern, PA. The suspect is accused of making Mickey Mouse (TM) shaped pancakes for his children. If convicted he faces 10 years in prison and up to $150,000 for each pancake consumed. Pancake mix provider Bisquick has made no statement at this time, but may be liable for damages in excess of $5 million dollars.

Link of reference? :confused1:

phoneman
January 26th, 2012, 02:00
http://wcollier.blogspot.com/2012/01/megaprotectionism-for-record-companies.html

The link above argues that Megaupload was taken down to protect the record companies from legitimate and legal competition. Scary if true.

Leobor
January 26th, 2012, 15:51
http://wcollier.blogspot.com/2012/01/megaprotectionism-for-record-companies.html

The link above argues that Megaupload was taken down to protect the record companies from legitimate and legal competition. Scary if true.

First - my question was about "Mickey Mouse shaped cookies". Second - there is only a news from someones blog? That isnt very reliable, you know...

dendrin
January 26th, 2012, 19:58
Filesonic has removed all their peer to peer sharing. You can still use the site for personal storage.

http://www.filesonic.com/

phoneman
January 27th, 2012, 00:48
First - my question was about "Mickey Mouse shaped cookies". Second - there is only a news from someones blog? That isnt very reliable, you know...

Yes, it is on a blog, which may or may not be reliable. That is why I said, "if true" and that the posting "argues". I did not state that it is correct, since I have no clue. Fact is, if accurate, it is very scary and honestly it would be consistent with recent US government actions, in my opinion only.

dp
January 27th, 2012, 23:24
Filesonic has removed all their peer to peer sharing. You can still use the site for personal storage.

http://www.filesonic.com/
Most file sharing services based in the US (or having servers in the US) are probably not the best places to store files anymore. Could be a lot of dead links here soon, even if we've tried to play nice with copyright holders. I'd recommend a safer file sharing service if I could, but I have no idea which ones are in the clear (if any). It's probably best to use a video-only site like YouTube for content that doesn't violate its TOS (i.e., no adult content). YouTube is backed by Google, and has advanced algorithms to filter out copyrighted content (at least it's more effective at it than any other site I know).

goneju
March 1st, 2012, 16:47
Any one over here can suggest good site to upload bigger files of around 500 mb or so. It need not be long lasting. I need it only for few days.

ownsville
May 1st, 2012, 04:55
I think any talk of users being prosecuted is hogwash. No legal system in the world could cope with the number of cases they'd have to process - many across national borders - and then there's the small matter of sorting out who's getting what money after being prosecuted by which laws in what countries...

No, they're after the big fish who film it then flog it up there. The distributors. Same with drugs and any other form of contraband - you can only confiscate the contraband on the user, if you want to tackle to problem, cut the source.

It simply isn't expedient or profitable for them to go after everyone who's ever downloaded a copyrighted file. They might make an exception for piss takers, who have downloaded hundreds of gigabytes, but these days monthly limits of 50GB + are being maxed out.

With regards to fighting back, its a slightly ridiculous notion given most people can't be bothered to object when their government taxes them for a problem caused by lying bankers. Who also tax them.

I'm more concerned that too little is being made of the declining quality of media versus its price. Media is the only product you cannot return for being shit. If you order food at a restaurant and it is not to your taste, you are within your rights to return it and expect a replacement or your money back. If you buy paint to do up your house and its the wrong colour from what's in the tin, you can take it back and get it replaced.

If you watch a film thinking its going to be good, but actually its bollocks, you cannot take it back and get your money back. I think that's wrong, because it means there's now a massive oligarchy of rich jerks who are buying up licenses to very good franchises - and systematically obliterating them with their shit film-making.

What I'm talking about is best illustrated in the now-cancelled (thank God) Live Action remake of the blindingly excellent and seminal anime, Akira. Changes to which involved switching the setting from Tokyo to New York, and changing the main characters name from Tetsuo to Travis. It just doesn't work.

As much as it annoys me that idiots pay to see films they know are going to be shit, it infuriates me even more that there is no mechanism in place to reimburse offended parties who are dissatisfied with the product/services they have purchased. If I took a game back to a shop and said "This was billed to me as good, but actually its a bit shit", they wouldn't have it back off me. Why not? If I find flies in my soup at a restaurant I'd be well within my rights to demand a replacement.

That, to me, is why downloading is so prominent. Because people are so pissed off with shoddy product that they feel the need to try before buying - and why shouldn't they, if they're going to be screwed out of a good time by crap work and cheap shortcuts? In the majority of cases, media that sits well with the downloader will be purchased, if not immediately then within months of viewing. If it sucks...well, rightly no one will buy it.

In England it costs ?10 or more for a cinema ticket. That's one viewing of a film. The dvd release, if it divebombs, will cost as much, dropping to ?5 only after two or three months of it floundering. If its a successful film, it will cost double this for double the amount of time.

The other thing I'd like to add to this rant, and I apologise but the subject irks me, is that the marketing for movies these days has become outright propaganda. Have you noticed that every dime-a-dozen, two-bit, cookie-cut film these days has some big quote on the back from the New York Times or the Daily Mail or some shit, proclaiming it "The best action film of the year" or some crap? Anyone who'd woken up not understanding the devolution of film over the last ten years might be forgiven for assuming that actually, every film thats made now is in fact a box office smash. When in fact, everyone who paid to see the highly anticipated movie felt it was bollocks, didn't buy it, and now own a copy they haven't opened because their aunt bought it idly at christmas for them.

Meaning the douche who made it has the money to continue producing bilge.

I despair :cursing: